Global Partners LP purchased its 63-acre Albany terminal from ExxonMobil in 2007, and has invested more than $30 million in upgrades since — part of our commitment to our South End neighbors and to the environment.
The site’s 16 tanks, along with Global’s other terminals, provide Global with the capacity to move enough fuel to help power cars and homes across the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions, making it a vital economic engine. Since 2013, the terminal has undergone hundreds of third-party inspections — most unannounced. Those inspections have turned up no substantive violations. Agencies conducting those inspections include the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA), the New York State Department of Health, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT), and the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). We work closely with the Albany police and fire departments.
In Albany, Global is permitted to receive, store and distribute a variety of bulk liquid commodities, including gasoline, diesel fuel, home heating oil, kerosene, crude oil, and renewable fuels such as ethanol and bio-based diesel. Shipments of crude oil stopped in August 2016 and have not resumed.
Though Global’s story here dates back a decade, the Albany terminal’s role in the region has a much longer history. In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge signed legislation to dredge the Hudson River, opening Albany to ocean-going ships. A year later, the New York State Legislature established the Albany Port District Commission. In 1926, still seven years before Slifky’s Reliable Oil Burner Service Co. was founded, construction began on what has, over time, become an economic driver for the region.