Global Partners is in the process of renewing our air permit for our Albany Terminal. As part of the renewal, we are proposing some changes in the way the terminal is operated.
Proposed changes include:
- Decreasing crude. The proposal would decrease the amount of crude oil allowed to be shipped through the terminal by over 75%, a reduction of 1.4 billion gallons.
- Increasing biodiesel to reduce greenhouse gases. The proposal would increase our ability to store and distribute biodiesel. This is part of Global’s commitment to a greener future and to meeting the state’s ambitious climate goals. Biodiesel is a renewable fuel made from natural ingredients.
Natural gas-fired boilers would be installed to heat biodiesel so it will flow in colder weather. No other products will be heated. The proposal specifically prohibits the use of boilers to heat crude oil.
- Installing enhanced controls. New controls would more effectively treat emissions from loading operations.
- Adding flexibility. The proposal would add flexibility to respond to changes in the market and improve service to our customers.
- Reducing truck idling. The proposal would add more positions at the truck loading rack to reduce customer wait time and truck idling time.
- Reducing train impacts. The proposal would add more positions at the rail loading rack to improve efficiency and reduce locomotive use when loading trains.
Permit Application Documents
Global submitted its permit renewal modification application in mid-March. The documents are online and available for download and review.
- Global Albany Title V Permit Modification Application – March 2020 (PDF) »
- Global Albany State Environmental Quality Review Environmental Assessment Form Supplement – March 2020 (PDF) »
- Global Albany Response to Request for Additional Information 07-07-2020 (PDF) »
- 201203 Request for Additional Information – CLCPA Final (PDF) »
- 201216 Request for Additional Information – Non CLCPA Final (PDF) »
- 210301 Supplemental Response to RFAI copy (PDF) »
Virtual Public Meetings
On August 24, 2020, Global hosted two virtual public meetings to give community members and stakeholders a chance to learn more about proposed changes, ask questions and make comments. Links to videos of these meetings are below. There will also be an opportunity to submit comments to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation later in the process.
- Watch Global Partners’ virtual public meeting held at 1:00 p.m. EDT on August 24, 2020
- Watch Global Partners’ virtual public meeting held at 7:00 p.m. EDT on August 24, 2020
For More Information
Contact Mark Bobb-Semple, Community Liaison:
[email protected]; (518) 775-7093
We will continue to work with our neighbors as this project moves forward, and whenever questions might arise in the future.